Shipping: Cargo claims
We are specialists on the legal issues that arise in connection with the carriage of goods by sea.
- Working with BIMCO and others we have hosted seminars around the world on Bill of Lading issues and are specialists on the legal issues that arise in connection with the carriage of goods on ships.
- We frequently deal with arrests and demands for security from cargo claimants. One of our founders is an acknowledged authority on global ship arrest so we have vast knowledge of arrests in multiple jurisdictions.
- We co-ordinated the handling and settlement of US$40M worth of cargo claims on behalf of Owners and Club in relation to a major container explosion and fire on a vessel including dealing with the complex GA and indemnity issues.
- We co-ordinated and oversaw the handling and settlement of US$20M worth of cargo claims against Owners and Liner Operators arising out of a major stow collapse on a container vessel including advice on potential indemnity claims against shippers for shipment of overweight containers.
- We successfully defended a US$5M alleged chemical cargo contamination claim on behalf of Owners and Club relating to alleged ship side contamination from previous cargoes when it was established that the contamination was in fact shore tank based.
- We successfully defended a US$2M cargo claim for soya bean contamination due to alleged sweat damage when the damage was in fact caused by improper usage of fumigant.
- We dealt with and settled at low level a US$5M claim for alleged polymerisation of styrene monomer when damage was in fact caused by ineffective application of inhibitor.
- Dealing with and settling claims arising out of the carriage of calcium hypochlorite and claims against shippers for shipment of dangerous cargoes.
- Dealing with delay claims arising out of the shipment of iron ore fines and nickel ore on bulk carriers in circumstances where the cargoes were loaded contrary to the IMSBC Code.
- Dealing with and settling a number of liquid cargo shortage claims in West Africa and advising Owners on potential remedies against Charterers due to corrupt systems operating at the port.
- Defence and settlement of multiple high value claims for alleged damage to refrigerated containerised cargoes including bananas, kiwi fruit and frozen seafood products.
- Dealing with the loss of a large US$10M project cargo carried on deck due to inadequate lashings and successfully pursuing a claim on behalf of cargo insurers against Owners and their Club.