We operate a 24/7 Emergency Response hotline and handle all aspects of maritime casualties ranging from collisions, groundings, fires, explosions, loss of life, pollution, salvage and wreck removal issues.
We advise on the legal issues arising from a casualty including security, jurisdiction and limitation. We work with leading foreign lawyers, experts and media response providers. We ensure that the right people are retained at the outset and that all aspects are handled in the most efficient and cost effective manner.
Aside from dealing with the emergency itself, we can also investigate the casualty and advise on the legal implications, how to minimise financial loss and reduce liability, how to safeguard company assets and deal with claims. Our aim is to work with the owners, managers, brokers, hull and P&I insurers and their appointed experts on a collaborative basis to ensure that we work through the crisis and deal with the legal claims arising in a sensible and efficient manner.
- Acted for the Owners and Club in relation to the KRISTAL which broke in two in the Bay of Biscay causing serious loss of life.
- Advising on various issues still remaining in relation to the loss of 852 lives on the ESTONIA in 1994.
- Advised Slot charterers and their Insurers in relation to the MOL COMFORT which broke in two in the Indian Ocean with total loss of ship and over 4500 containers.
- Dealt with the KASHMIR c/w SIMA SAMAN, the biggest ever ship collision in UAE waters. This case involved explosion, salvage and serious crew issues.
- Currently dealing with another large casualty in the UAE.
- Acted for Owners and Club in relation to the OOCL AMERICA stow collapse with loss and damage to over 500 containers and multiple cargo and container claims.
- Acted for Owners and Club in relation to the HANJIN PENNSYLVANIA which suffered a major explosion and fire resulting in serious damage to hull and cargo and substantial GA issues as well as indemnity claims against shippers.
- Involved in the NYK ARGUS fire causing serious loss and damage to containers on board. Claims in multiple jurisdictions and GA issues.
- Acted for the Charterers and their insurers in the CMA DJAKARTA calcium hypochlorite container ship explosion. This case also involved limitation issues and ended up in the Court Of Appeal establishing Charterers right to limit their liability, a decision recently confirmed by the Supreme Court in the OCEAN VICTORY case.
- Currently advising on the fire on the CCNI ARAUCO at the port of Hamburg on 1 September 2016 and legal issues arising.
- Represented Owners and Insurers of the FURNESS MELBOURNE which grounded and required LOF salvage services off Jorf Lasfar.
- Acted for the Owners of the ATLANTIC BLUE which suffered a tank explosion whilst in a Korean shipyard resulting in loss of life and complex local issues.
- Acted for Owners and Club on the grounding of the CMA CGM NORMANDIE off Singapore.
- Represented a VLCC which suffered an underwater collision occasioned by a US submarine in the Gulf.
- Advised the Insurers of the BOHAI CHALLENGE on LOF salvage issues following its grounding off Kanazawa port.
- Advised the Insurers of the BAHIA BLANCA in relation to LOF salvage issues arising out of vessel going aground in the Orinoco River
- Advised the insurers of the GRANDIOSA in relation to LOF salvage and salvage recovery claims advanced by cargo interests following a grounding in the Parana River.
- Advising hull underwriters in relation to salvage issues arising out of the grounding of the OCEAN BREEZE in Chile.
- Currently representing Owners and Insurers in relation to another major casualty in Argentina.
- Represented the Owners and P&I Insurers of the JANE following the vessels grounding and total loss in Sendai Japan. Case involved serious
pollution issues, limitation and wreck removal.
- Represented Hull Insurers of the ATHENA in relation to the total loss of the vessel off West Africa. Case involved insurance issues and attempts by P&I to try to recover SCOPIC costs from Hull Insurers.
- Dozens of collision cases including BEAGLE III c/w PEGASUS PRIME, SUN RIGHT c/w GO FRIEND, SVYATOY PAVEL c/w DIAMOND, SUN SPIRITS c/w
MONTEGO, SANTA VITORIA c/w DIANA, YM NINGBO c/w HUA DE 708, VOLGA DON c/w SUN RAYS, STELLAR GRACE c/w ERK, PACIFIC HIGHWAY c/w ELEFTHERIA, BOW ENGINEER c/w ZUNI PRINCESS, OOCL CHINA c/w DARYA BHAKTI, LADY ROSEBUD c/w MARISCAR, FALCON TRADER II c/w HARVEST PLAINS. Numerous other ongoing cases.
- Dozens of total loss investigations and advice to Insurers including the TAHOMA REEFER major fire and total loss in Liberia, the total loss of the GRACIA off Greece and the total loss of the SELI 1 in South Africa.
- Represented the Owners and Insurers of the VLADIMIR in connection with alleged sinking of Swedish fishing vessel ASTRIDA and loss of life claims in the USA.
- Numerous incidents involving damage to fixed and floating objects including the ROTA contact with dock gates in Liverpool, BBC DENMARK allision with bridge in Kiel canal and the COSCO BUSAN contact with Oakland Bridge in San Francisco. Ongoing cases include advising Owners and Insurers on substantial claims arising out of damage to two loading arms in Brazil after vessel broke her moorings whilst loading.
- Advising in relation to oil spill from the NATIONAL PRIDE whilst under repair in Hong Kong. Case remains one of the worst pollution incidents ever in Hong Kong harbour.