Construction & Shipbuilding Disputes
Our team has extensive experience of engineering and construction disputes relating to land based projects and offshore energy and shipbuilding.
We understand the technical aspects of engineering and construction issues which means that we can give practical and effective legal advice on how best to deal with disputes arising under those contracts.
- Dealt with a multi- million dollar dispute relating to the construction of an office and retail complex in Moscow.
- Representing several UAE developers in various hotel/apartment/ retail/ mixed use developments and issues arising under those construction contracts.
- Currently representing various offshore contractors in relation to disputes in the offshore construction sector.
- Represented Italian buyers in relation to a multi-million dollar shipbuilding dispute with a yard in China.
- Advising several large shipyards on technical claims pursued by Owners to try to facilitate a delay sufficient to enable cancellation of the shipbuilding contracts.
- Advising Owners on alleged technical breaches and warranty claims and how to deal with these.
- Advising Owners on issues arising with a Korean shipyard as the result of the supply of a reconditioned main engine and successfully negotiating a US$10M discount on the price of the vessel.
- Advising numerous Owners on the purchase of new ships including negotiation of contract terms, pre-delivery and delivery finance and ensuring all necessary and proper refund guarantees provided by the yard.
- Dealing with numerous S&P disputes under NSF and Nipponsale forms in connection with re-sales of newly delivered vessels (with English law applying).
- Represented several major Japanese trading houses in relation to re-structuring of dozens of shipbuilding contracts and re-scheduling of obligations after major defaults by end buyers.
- Advising numerous buyers on issues arising under Refund Guarantees provided by PRC yards.
- Advised Korean and Japanese yards on issues arising in relation to steel price escalation and currency hedging mechanisms.
- Advised trading house on second hand sale, scrapping of vessels and environmental issues arising.